Sunday, June 8, 2008

Traffic Surfing with Google Trends

May 2, 2008 – 11:41 pm

Google Trends shows the top 100 searches for a given day. You can use Google Trends to help generate traffic to a site by writing a quality article using one of these high-volume search terms. This is a natural (organic) way of generating traffic that we at Gnosis Arts like to call "traffic surfing."

For example, last month I was looking through Google Trends and found out that the term "spitzer's girl" was among the most searched terms. It was obvious why: at the time, the Eliot Spitzer sex scandal was making headline news in just about every media pipeline in the nation. So, I used this traffic trend to my advantage. I wrote a unique, quality editorial about the Spitzer scandal, titled the editorial "spitzer girl," and then posted the story on my website's news page. Then, I submitted the article to digg.com - a popular social media site.

After about a week, the page on which the editorial resided jumped two Page Rank points. After about another week, the page was raking on page 6 in Google. Now, though this is not a top 30 ranking, it is still quite impressive nonetheless. What it shows is that Google pays close attention to newsworthy, relevant and somewhat unique content, and rewards such sites accordingly. I also, noticed modest increases in overall traffic to the site.

No comments: